This is a condition in which pain is experienced in the legs or in the lower parts of the body. This basically happens because of the narrowing or complete blockage of the vessels that carry blood from the heart to the legs. It is caused by the continuous buildup/layering of fatty plaque in the arteries. PAD may be seen to occur in any blood vessel of the body, but it is more commonly seen in the legs when compared to other parts.Pain in the legs which escalates while walking.
- Pain/cramp may be experienced in the buttock, hip, thigh, or calf.
- Muscle atrophy
- Hair loss
- Reduced or absent pulses in the feet
- Non-healing ulcers or sores in the legs or feet
- Cold or numb toes
- Ankle-brachial index (ABI) - It is a non-invasive test that measures the blood pressure in the ankles and compares it with the blood pressure in the arms before and after exercise.
- Ultrasound imaging
- Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA)
- Computed tomographic angiography (CTA)
- Anti-platelet medications as prescribed by the doctor
- Severe cases may require surgery to bypass the blocked arteries
Note: Since smoking is one of the major reasons for this condition,the patient will be asked to quit smoking by the doctor.