Japanese encephalitis is an infection spread by the bite of infected mosquitos. It can cause brain swelling and in some severe cases may result in coma.
- Difficulty in movement
- Changes in mental status
- Seizures (Especially in children)
Tests to diagnose:
- ELISA on the CSF is the most commonly used diagnostic test.
*ELISA- Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay
*CSF- Cerebro Spinal Fluid
- Neutralizing antibody testing (confirmatory test)
- There is no specific known treatment available for Japanese encephalitis.
- Management of the symptoms by the use of certain medications and vaccines is possible.