Aorta is a large artery that carries blood from the heart through the heart and torso region. A baloon like bulging in this artery (aorta) is referred to as Aortic Aneurysm. This condition works in two ways:
1) Dissection:The force of blood pumping can split the layers of theartery wall,allowing blood to leak in between these to layers.
2) Rupture: The Aneurysm may sometimes burst completely resulting in internal bleeding.
- Sudden intense and persistent pain in the back, abdomen and flank
- Low blood pressure
- Pulsating abdominal mass
- Ultrasound of the heart/abdomen
- Chest X-rays
- CT scan
1) If the aneurysm is small and the symptoms are mild, doctor will recommend medical monitoring which includes:
- Regular appointments
- Self care
- Regular imaging tests
2) If the aneurysm is quite large and symptoms are severe, doctor will recommend surgery. The surgery options include:
- Open abdominal surgery
- Endovascular surgery