Varicose veins are dark purple or blue in colour and usually twisted and bulging in appearance. Some people with varicose veins may experience pain or discomfort.
As well as their distinctive appearance, symptoms of varicose veins can include:
- Aching, heavy and uncomfortable legs
- Swollen feet and ankles
- Burning or throbbing in your legs
- Muscle cramp in your legs, particularly at night
- Dry, itchy and thin skin over the affected vein
In most cases, a test called a duplex ultrasound scan will be carried out. This is a type of scan that uses high-frequency sound waves to produce a picture of the veins in your legs.
Varicose veins don't always need treatment. Other treatment options include:
- Laser surgeries
- Catheter-assisted procedures
- Vein stripping
- Ambulatory phlebectomy
- Endoscopic vein surgery
For more information visit the following websites